Home-Based Workout with a Single Kettlebell
As a Kinesiologist and a Personal Trainer, an important trait to develop is adaptability. This is especially true when you provide service to people in their homes. Most often you won't have access to barbells, benches, machines and other equipment. Sometimes all you'll have access to is a few kettlebells and resistance bands.
So, in this article I'm going to share with you a workout that only requires a single, moderately weighted kettlebell. I'll also include the Warm Up I performed. This Warm Up does include the use of a Resistance Band and lighter Kettlebell, however, neither of these are required, substitutions can be made using dumbbells, weight-plates and other objects. You can also perform a different Warm Up If you need some advice on how to modify this Warm Up or the Workout itself to better suit you, please don't hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing this article. The Workout itself is originally from Mahler's Aggressive Strength Kettlebell Workshop Manual (www.mikemahler.com), I made a couple of adjustments to better suit me and my goals.
The Warm Up Part 1
Perform the following exercises as a circuit for 2 total rounds. I used the WOD Nation Red Resistance Band.
- Resistance Band Over-Unders, 10 reps
- Resistance Band Short Pull-Aparts (elbows start close to the body. Once you pull the band apart, it should look as if your arms are at the bottom of a Bench Press), 5 reps
- Resistance Band Short Pull-Apart + Press, 5 reps
- Elbows Straight Resistance Band Pull-Aparts, 10 reps
- Cat-Cows, 10 reps
- Cat-Cow + Overhead Reach, 5 reps per arm
- Quadruped Fire Hydrants, 10 reps per leg
- Quadruped Donkey Kicks, 10 reps per leg
- Quadruped Rock-Back, 10 reps
- Bird-Dogs, 5 reps per leg/arm
The Warm Up Part 2
Perform the following exercises as a circuit for 2 total rounds. On the 2nd round, switch sides for the single arm exercises. I used an 8kg Kettlebell for the Halos and Presses, and 16kg for the Swings.
- Bodyweight Goodmornings, 10 reps
- Bodyweight Windmill, 10 reps per side
- Cossack Squat or Lateral Lunge, 5 per side
- 1 Arm Swings, 10 reps (one side)
- Halos, 10 reps (one direction)
- 1 Arm Overhead Press, 5 reps (one side)
Perform the following exercises, following the prescribed sets and reps, resting as needed in between switching sides and from set to set. I used a 16kg Kettlebell for this Workout, rested 0-30sec in between switching sides and 45-60sec in between sets.
- Clean & Press 3 sets of 10 per side
- Superset: A) Bent-over Row 3 sets of 10 per side B) Box Pistol Squat 3 sets of 6 per side
- Windmill 2 sets of 5 per side
- Snatch 3 sets of 10 per side